The Town of Bashaw and its partners were forced to scramble to collar two loose, large dogs that were biting people around the community. The report was made to council at the Jan. 17 regular meeting of council.

Town Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) Theresa Fuller notified councillors in her regular report that the municipality recently spent a couple of days dealing with two large, aggressive dogs that were running loose in Bashaw and attacked two people.

In a phone call to the ECA Review Jan. 19 Fuller stated that councillors requested more information about a recent incident where two dangerous dogs were released into the community.

Fuller stated that upon investigation it was revealed a Bashaw resident was caring for two large German Shepherd breed dogs as the original owners were unable to do so. A resident subsequently contacted Camrose County bylaw enforcement to state that the two dogs were being left outdoors in the extreme cold with no food or water.

Apparently the bylaw officer contacted the foster home and was informed they weren’t able to care for the dogs anymore. 

The bylaw officer reached out to a local kennel service which was initially able to help out although the CAO noted the foster home that originally agreed to care for the dogs was responsible for them.

However, the Town of Bashaw then learned that the two dogs in question were apparently running at large in the community, with the CAO noting the circumstances of the dogs’ release being described as “suspicious.”

The CAO reported the two dogs made their way to Bashaw School, where they proceeded to allegedly bite a child.

It was also reported that later the two dogs also bit a senior citizen.

The Town of Bashaw then contacted the local kennel service again and asked for their services in corralling the dogs; Fuller reported within about a day and half the two dogs had been captured by the kennel service.

The CAO went on to note the Town of Bashaw is currently working with the kennel service to determine the best way forward with the dogs; she also noted the kennel service in question has a “no kill” policy.

Fuller also reported two of the original dog owners were contacted and neither one was able to take the canine’s back in; apparently, their living circumstances made the dog’s return impossible.

The CAO stated that after the two dogs were captured, they were held for a mandatory three-day period to give the original owners a chance to claim them; the dogs went unclaimed and so were fully surrendered to the kennel.

The CAO stated throughout the entire incident ensuring public safety was the primary goal.

Councillors, during discussion, noted they were pleased the unfortunate situation was addressed as quickly as possible.

By Stu Salkeld, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter

Original Published on Jan 24, 2024 at 14:29

This item reprinted with permission from   East Central Alberta Review   Coronation, Alberta

Comments are Welcome - Use the 'Join the Discussion' above any replies, or 'TheRegional / Chat' below replies. Both links take you to the same place. You will be asked to become a registered user if you are not one already - Posts are moderated