Two Morrin councillors resign before swearing-in ceremony

Admin2001

Administrator
Staff member
By Stu Salkeld, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter

If you are a resident of the Village of Morrin and you enjoy voting in elections, good news: you will get another chance to vote for village council in a by-election Dec. 13.
At the regular meeting of council Oct. 27 it was reported the by-election was needed after two councillors-elect had resigned before they were sworn in.
The first order of business at the council meeting should have been the organizational meeting where councillors are sworn in, a mayor is selected and committee work is assigned.
However, at the beginning of the organizational meeting which was chaired by village Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) Annette Plachner it was stated both Ken Balacko and Lynn Helton had resigned before the meeting.
Contacted by the ECA Review Oct. 29, Balacko confirmed he resigned before being sworn-in. “It was a tough decision to make,” said Balacko by phone.
Balacko stated he’s been dealing with a medical condition that’s gotten worse and forced him to resign from council.
Contacted by the ECA Review Oct. 29, Lynn Helton provided her Oct. 22 resignation letter which read, “I have been plagued with inappropriate social media posts by M’Liss about myself and my family since I put in my nomination papers. As well, hate mail resulted from her actions.
“Apparently, I have been elected. However, I am so unimportant that no one from the village office has notified me so...continued

For full article click
HERE.