Town of High Prairie served with court documents

Admin2001

Administrator
Staff member
Legality of Oct. 18 municipal election challenged

UPDATE: Editor’s note –
The Town of High Prairie was served with court documents Monday, Dec. 20 regarding the Oct. 18, 2021 municipal election. Barry Sharkawi says the next step in the process will be dealt with in an Edmonton courtroom Jan. 4, 2022. The story alleging an improper election was conducted Oct. 18, 2021 is below and published in the South Peace News print edition which is on newsstands today [Tuesday, Dec. 21].

Chris Clegg

South Peace News

A High Prairie citizen’s request to ask Town of High Prairie Mayor Brian Panasiuk to resign amidst improper election allegations is falling on deaf ears.

Barry Sharkawi, who lost the Oct. 18 municipal election to Panasiuk 367-314 votes, attended council’s Dec. 14 meeting to express his concerns and inform council he is considering legal action to contest the election.

“The way it was done, the way it was run, they [Town of High Prairie] have to do it the right way,” said Sharkawi, who later added, “I want to get the rights of the 314 people who voted for me.”

Panasiuk has not resigned.

“Barry has made allegations that the election was not properly conducted,” wrote Panasiuk in an email.

“I feel it is vital that the democratic process be fair and proper. If the appropriate authorities conclude that the election process was not fair or properly conducted, then I feel there should be another election. Until I hear otherwise, town council was elected by the people of High Prairie to guide the town, and that is what we...continued.

For full article on TheRegional.com click
HERE.
For full article on AlbertaChat.com click
HERE.